National Board Certification
All About National Board Certification(PDF file - 2 pages)
Why become a National Board Certified teacher?
National Board Certification allows teachers to be recognized for their highly accomplished teaching practices. National Board Certification stimulates teachers to evaluate, reflect and grow as professional educators.
Any individual who:
- Holds a baccalaureate degree,
- Has taught for at least three years, and
- Holds a valid state teaching license for the area in which he/she is teaching.
National Board candidates is designed to collect standards-based evidence of accomplished practice in a variety of teaching situations. In all certificate areas, candidates are required to complete four components:
- Computer-based assessment administered at a National Board Assessment Center -Component 1: Content Knowledge
- Portfolio entries which may be submitted online: -Component 2: Differentiation in Instruction
-Component 3: Teaching Practice and Learning Environment
-Component 4: Effective and Reflective Practitioner
The specific instructions will vary by certificate area as will the standards assessed by each component.
What is the National Board of Professional Teaching Standards?
The NBPTS board of directors, composed primarily of educators, has developed a system of advanced standards and assessments organized around five core propositions:
- Teachers are committed to students and their learning.
- Teachers know the subjects they teach and how to teach those subjects to students.
- Teachers are responsible for managing and monitoring student learning.
- Teachers think systematically about their practice and learn from experience.
- Teachers are members of learning communities.
NBPTS offers 25 certificate areas that cover 16 subject areas and are classified into seven student age categories. As a candidate, you can opt for a generalist certificate or one that is subject-specific.
- $75 annual nonrefundable registration fee per year of candidacy up to three years.
- $475 per component payable upon submission of that component, for a total of $1,900.
Group trainings available for your district, building or local to learn more:
- IGNITE! Training: Gives the "Why" - contact KNEA to schedule training during the spring
- Jump Start Training: Gives the "What" - contact KNEA to schedule training during the summer
NBPTS Training Available:
Orientation: The "How" - hosted by the Jones Institute during the fall
- Visit the NBPTS Website
- KNEA contact: Idalia Shuman (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Candidate Support Program contact: Alvin Peters (email@example.com)
Subscribe to the Works4Me newsletter and never miss a great tip!