State Board News July 2013
Board Finalizes Budget Request for FY15
Although FY14 is only 10 days old, July is the time for state agencies to finalize their budget requests for the next fiscal year. On Tuesday, after considerable discussion, the State Board voted to send the following requests to the Governor:
1. Sally Cauble advanced a motion to ask that the Kansas Legislature fund the full amount required by all Kansas Statutes for public education. Dale Dennis estimated the cost to be $656 million. The motion passed 7 — 3 with Bacon, Roberts and Willard voting no.
2. Kathy Busch moved a motion to support the phase in of all-day Kindergarten over 5 years. Dale Dennis estimated the cost to be $16 million per year. The motion passed 7 — 3 with Bacon, Roberts and Willard voting no.
3. The Board voted 9-1 to ask for funding for Ag in the Classroom and Environmental Education with Kathy Busch voting against the motion.
The Board’s discussion ranged from pleas to be strong advocates for students and fund the current requirements of state law to statements that Board requests were considered irrelevant by the Legislature.
Board Receives Kansas Educator Code of Conduct
The State Board of Education received the Kansas Educator Code of Conduct from the Professional Standards Board. The Code of Conduct describes behavior related to three areas of educator responsibility: to students, to districts, and to the profession.
It was explained to the Board that a Code of Conduct is not the same as a Code of Ethics. “A Code of Conduct governs actions and outlines specific behaviors that are required or prohibited-what you can and cannot do as an educator. A Code of Ethics outlines a set of ethical principles that provide guidance about values and choices that influence personal decision-making in professional practice. The two types of codes attempt to encourage behavior in very different ways. Ethical standards provide a set of values or decision-making approaches that enables the educator to make independent judgments about the most appropriate course of action. At this point the conduct standards should be considered aspirational and not be used to judge educators."
Click here to see the Kansas Education Code of Conduct.
In other action, the State Board
• Heard an update on the Licensure Review Process
• Approved a request to recover and repair the Body Venture Exhibit
• Approved out-of-state 2013-14 tuition rates for KSSB and KSSD
• Approved Visiting Scholar applications
• Heard an update on Kansas College and Career Ready Standards for Science
• KSDE reported they are developing resources for K-8 educators for Celebrate Freedom Week
• Approved recommendations from the Licensure Review Committee to approve thirteen and deny two licensure requests
• Approved charter school renewals for
* USD 230, Spring Hill, Insight School of Kansas
* USD 504, Oswego, Service Valley Charter Academy
* Heard a report form the SBOE Communications Committee
August SBOE Meeting
The next meeting of the State Board will be Tuesday and Wednesday, August 13 and 14, 2013. The agenda and board meeting materials should be available on the KSDE website by Monday, August 5.