State Board News March 2013
State Board Questions Lawmakers Authority Regarding Educational Bills
The State Board discussed a variety of bills currently being considered by the Kansas Legislature. Concern was expressed over bills that address the Common Core Standards, which were adopted by the Board in 2010, and whether these bills infringe on the State Board's authority. Education Commissioner Diane DeBacker reviewed with the Board that determining the standards in the state of Kansas falls under the authority of the State Board of Education. She went on to express frustration with the lack of opportunity given to the KSDE to provide accurate information to the legislative committees on the Common Core Standards.
After considerable discussion, the State Board voted 7-2-1 to send a letter to Governor Brownback and each member of the Legislature reminding them of the Constitutional responsibilities of the State Board of Education. Bacon and Roberts voted against the motion and Willard abstained.
Board Votes to Align Assessments to the Kansas College and Career Ready Standards
On a 9 to 1 vote the Board approved the State Department to contract with CETE to modify the 2014 assessments to align to the Kansas College and Career Ready Standards in English, Language Arts, and Mathematics.
Board Adopts Revised Mission and Goals(Revisions are listed in red)
To prepare Kansas students for lifelong success through rigorous, quality academic instruction, career training, and character development according to each student’s gifts and talents.
State Board of Education Goals
1. Provide a flexible and efficient delivery system to meet our students’ varied and changing needs
2. Provide an effective educator in every classroom
3. Ensure effective, visionary leaders in every school
4. Promote and encourage best practices for early childhood programs
5. Develop active communication and partnerships with families, communities, business stakeholders, constituents, and policy partners
Recognized the 2012 National Blue Ribbon Schools
• Basehor-Linwood High School, USD 458 Basehor-Linwood, Principal Sherry Reeves
• Blue Valley High School, USD 229 Blue Valley, Principal Scott Bacon
• Garden City High School, USD 457 Garden City, Principal James Mireles
• Goddard High School, USD 265 Goddard, Principal Doug Bridwell
• Marshall Elementary School, USD 389 Eureka, Principal Robert Leis
• Saint Thomas Aquinas High School, Overland Park, Principal Dr. William Ford
In other action, the State Board:
· Approved 40 licensure waivers, two emergency substitute extensions and 38 special education waivers
· Acted on the recommendation from the Licensure Review Committee to approve 19 requests
· Approved the recommendations from the Professional Practices Commission
· Approved a bond election for USD 345, Seaman
· Approved a local in-service educational plan for USD 420, Osage City
· Directed KSDE staff to let bids for a new table for the State Board of Education
· Directed KSDE staff to assist USD 312 Haven on the revision of their charter school request for resubmission at the April Board meeting
· Heard a presentation on the process and procedures KSDE uses for districts to contract out their food service. KSDE will remove date specific requirements so districts can start the process at any time during the school year.
· Heard an update on History, Government, and Social Studies Standards
· Heard an update on Next Generation Science Standards — Possible first reading of the standards at the April SBOE meeting
April SBOE Meeting
The April State Board meeting will be the third Tuesday and Wednesday, April 16-17, 2013. Meeting agenda and materials should be available on the KSDE website no later than Monday, April 8.