State Board News January 2013
Board Selects New LeadersAfter swearing in newly elected and re-elected Board members Carolyn Campbell, Kathy Busch, Deena Horst, Jim McNiece, and Steve Roberts, the Board elected Jana Shaver to serve as chair and Sally Cauble to serve as vice chair for the next two years.
Ken Willard, district 7, was elected legislative liaison, and Deena Horst, district 6 was elected assistant legislative liaison.
Kathy Busch, district 8, Carolyn Campbell, district 4, and Janet Waugh, district 1 were elected to the policy committee.
2013 Kansas Writing Assessment VOLUNTARYThe Kansas State Board of Education unanimously approved making the 2013 Kansas Writing Assessment voluntary. The next generation of assessments for English Language Arts and Literacy, based on the Common Core Standards adopted by the State Board in October 2010, will be administered during the 2014-2015 school year. This assessment will essentially combine the current reading and writing assessments into one assessment based on the Common Core Standards and focus on reading, writing, research and language with the addition of performance tasks. Stated another way, the 2013 Kansas Writing Assessment is the last time the state will administer this specific assessment.
In other action, the State Board:
- Accepted recommendations from the Professional Practices Commission to approve five licensure requests
- Accepted recommendations from the Licensure Review Committee to approve nine licensure requests
- Received a draft of the History, Government, and Social Studies Standards
- Heard a presentation by Bob Hull of the Kansas Center for Safe and Prepared Schools
- Recognized the Kansas principals of the year
- Received the Special Education Advisory Council annual report
- Heard from Career and Technical Student Organizations officers
- Received recommendations from the QPA Advisory Council
- Heard a presentation from the State Librarian, Jo Budler
- Received an update on the Gannon Court Case
- Received an update on the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
The board will meet in Topeka on Tuesday and Wednesday, February 12 and 13. A retreat is scheduled for Thursday, February 14 and Friday, February 15. The meeting agenda and materials should be available on the KSDE website on Monday, February 4.