State Board News May 2012
ESEA Waiver — Proceed, Cautiously
The State Board gave clear direction to KSDE staff to continue providing additional information on items requested by the US Department of Education but do NOT compromise the essential elements of the Kansas waiver request: the multiple approaches to identifying growth and the timeline for dealing with teacher and administrator evaluation.
During a conference call on April 19, Kansas learned that it would have until May 10 to provide the additional information, which KSDE staff characterized as “clarifying.”
No one is certain how quickly, or how slowly, USDE will respond to the revised waiver request.
The following educators were reappointed to 3-year terms on three State Board advisory groups:
Professional Standards Board: Tim Knoles, Independence NEA; Michele Perez, NEA Topeka; Kate Thompson, Olathe NEA; Ralph Beacham, SEKESC/Greenbush; Nick Compagnone, Salina; Gwen Landever, University of Saint Mary; David Myers, Atchison; and Denise O’Dea, Wamego.
Professional Practices Commission: Calin Kendall, Olathe NEA; Phil Clark, Olathe; and Susan Myers, Atchison.
Licensure Review Committee: Pamela Amott, UTW; Linda Schukman, Leavenworth; and Randy Rivers, Bluestem.
Next Generation Science Standards Draft Available
The most recent draft of Next Generation Science Standards will be available for public comment beginning this Friday, May 11, at 2pm. The standards will be posted at http://www.nextgenscience.org/ and the window for comment will be open through June 1.
During this time, because Kansas is a Lead State, the Kansas science standards committee will also review this draft and provide comments.
In other action, the State Board:
· Voted to send proposed regulations for Emergency Safety Interventions [seclusion and restraint] into the regulatory review process
· Approved a recommendation from the Professional Practices Commission to deny one license request.
· Reconsidered April action to accept the voluntary surrender of a license
· Heard a legislative update, including information on possible new State Board districts
· Approved Ed Flex waiver requests for
o USD 113, Prairie Hills, Summerfield elementary
o USD 385, Andover, Cottonwood and Prairie Creek elementaries
· Approved 9 licensure waivers, all special education
· Approved a recommendation from the Evaluation Review Committee to approve 7 programs at Ottawa University
· Approved recommendations from the Licensure Review Committee to approve 7, deny 1 and table 1 licensure request
· Approved requests for bond elections from
o USD 313, Buhler
o USD 346, Jayhawk
June State Board Meeting
The next meeting of the State Board of Education will be Tuesday and Wednesday, June 12 and 13. The agenda and meeting materials should be available on the KSDE website by Monday, June 4.