Thank you for visiting KNEA.org, the website of the Kansas National Education Association (“KNEA”). This Privacy Statement covers information collected at the following websites: www.knea.org. For simplicity, we will refer to these as "our site."When you visit our site you may provide us with two types of information: (1) non-personal information that is collected on an aggregate basis from all users, and (2) personal information you voluntarily choose to disclose through registering, filling out a profile form, or joining an e-mail list.
KNEA uses "cookies" which are small files which allow us to store and sometimes track what you are looking at when you visit our sites. If you are concerned about the potential use of information gathered from your computer by "cookies," you can set your browser to prompt you before it accepts a cookie. Most Internet browsers have settings that let you identify or reject cookies.
Collection and Use of Non-Personal Information
If you do nothing during your visit but browse, read pages, or download information, our sites' operating system will automatically record the following information about your visit without reference to your personal identity.
- The Internet domain for your Internet service, such as "xcompany.com" or "xcompany.net" if you use a private Internet access account, or "yourcollege.edu" if you connect from a college or university domain.
- The type of browser that you use (e.g., "Yahoo version x" or "Microsoft Internet Explorer").
- The type of operating system that you use (e.g., Windows or Macintosh).
- The date and time you visit our sites, and the Web pages that you visit on our sites.
- The address of the previous website you visited, if you linked to us from another website.
- The address of the next website you visit, if you linked to it from our sites.
This information is used to help us diagnose technical problems. We also use this information to track user interests so that we can provide content and special offers of interest to our sites' users. We gather this information in the aggregate -- as a total, not linked to individual users -- and we may share it with NEA, other NEA affiliates, NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Health Information Network, NEA Foundation for the Improvement of Education, and certain other reputable entities which share our interests.
Collection and Use of Personal Information
KNEA collects and uses personal information that you voluntarily provide for the purposes described below. By "personal information," we mean information that on its own can specifically identify you. This includes, among other things, your name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number, fax number, credit card number, etc.
- Membership Information: For certain KNEA membership categories, it is now possible to contact the Association or enroll online to join KNEA. If you choose to contact the Association or enroll online to join KNEA, you must fill out the mandatory fields on the notification or enrollment Web pages(s). For KNEA to process your membership information and provide you with quality services, we will have to share this information with NEA, other NEA affiliates and NEA Member Benefits Corporation. For special Association projects, we also may share this information with NEA Health Information Network, NEA Foundation for the Improvement of Education, and certain other reputable entities which share our interests.
- Registration & Profile Information: The “Members Only” pages of KNEA.org contain significant information and services exclusive to KNEA members. In order to verify membership in the Association, you must fill out the mandatory fields on the registration form. For KNEA to provide with you with this service, we will have to share this information with other NEA affiliates. To improve the quality of our service, we also may share this information with NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Health Information Network, NEA Foundation for the Improvement of Education, and certain other reputable entities which share our interests.
- Purchase Orders: In order to process and fulfill any purchase orders from NEA's professional library, we ask you to provide, among other things, your credit card number and its expiration date. For your protection, we store this information on a secured server and you have the option of sending this information in a secured format. KNEA.org may link to websites provided by third-party vendors. Please refer to the privacy statements of third-party vendors regarding personal information collected when making purchases from their sites (e.g., online professional development opportunities within the “Marketplace” section of NEA.org).
- E-mail Lists: If you choose to sign-up for one of our e-mail newsletter lists, we ask for your e-mail address and other personal information. We use this information to administer the e-mail lists and to track user interests. We may also use it to verify that you are a KNEA member. If you choose to subscribe to a legislative e-mail list, we may use your zip code to send you individualized updates on your Members of Congress, your state legislators, or both. Although we may share our e-mail lists with NEA, other NEA affiliates, NEA Member Benefits Corporation, NEA Health Information Network, and NEA Foundation for the Improvement of Education, we do not sell, lease, or rent these lists to any other entities. If you wish to revoke your subscription to any e-mail list, please follow the instructions provided at the bottom of all e-mailings. Please contact Customer Care at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any problems revoking your subscription.
- Feedback and Other Contact Forms: While we do not ordinarily share personal information that you provide to us on feedback and other contact forms with third parties, depending on the reason(s) for your contact, it may be necessary to share personal information with third parties to comply with your request.
- Discussion Forums: If you choose to participate in a discussion forum such as InsideKNEA, your comments and any personal information that you disclose will be available to anyone who can access the forum. By "discussion forum" (known also by various other names such as "discussion group," "discussion board," "message board," and "online forum"), we mean an asynchronous website component that enables users to participate in topics of discussion by reading messages from others and by replying to those messages or posting new ones.
- Miscellaneous: You may choose to participate in other activities at our sites that may require you to disclose personal information. These activities may include polls, questionnaires, surveys, contests, etc. Because of the nature of these activities, we may share personal information of all participants with third parties.
Links to Other Sites
Our sites are general websites not directed to children under the age of 13. The privacy policies and practices contained in this Privacy Statement do not apply to ANY external links. This Privacy Statement applies only to our sites or any future sites that we may develop. It does not cover sites that are linked to from our sites for which we are not responsible ("linked-sites"). These linked-sites will have their own policies and practices that may be different from ours. We therefore encourage you to familiarize yourself with the policies and practices of the linked-sites, especially if you provide personal information to them.
Amendments and Consent to This Privacy Statement
KNEA retains the right to amend or otherwise update this Privacy Statement at any time. By using our sites, you consent to the collection and use of the information as we have described. If we change our policies and practices, we will post the changes in our Privacy Statement so that you are always aware of them. With this knowledge, you can make an informed decision about whether you wish to provide personal information to us.
How to Contact Us
If you have any questions about this Privacy Statement, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Updated May 16, 2011
Subscribe to the Works4Me newsletter and never miss a great tip!